There are several ways you can activate an HSBC card depending on your location. This article is for HSBC customers residing in the United States or the UK who wants to activate their card. If you’re not from the mentioned countries, then I’m afraid the information that’ll be provided in this article may not help you in any way.
Generally, you can activate your card by phone, online or via the ATM. However, US residents can only activate theirs either by calling the HSBC customer service line for help or by visiting the online card activation page.
Below is some key information you’ll be required to provide before you can be able to activate your card:
- Your Card Number
- Last 4 digits of the Primary’s Social Security Number
- CVV code
- Your Card’s Expiration Date
Once you have the above information, then you’re good to go!
Activate HSBC Card From the UK
Uk residents can activate their HSBC credit or debit cards by phone, online banking, or via the ATM. The above ways have been put in place by HDBC to cater for the variety of customers that they serve. Customers can use any of the above methods that suit their personality to activate their card.
Activate HSBC Card Online
This method is for those that have enrolled for or planning to enroll for online banking. Simply follow the steps below to activate your card.
- Visit the HSBC online banking platform and sign in to your account using your Username and Security code.
- Next, navigate to the “Manage Card” section and click on the “Activate Card” button to proceed.
- Finally, follow the on-screen instructions to activate your card.
You can also activate your HSBC card by phone. Simple call the HSBC customer service number on 0800 783 5263 to activate your card. You’ll be requested to set your PIN which you’ll be using to access your card for subsequent transactions.
NB: This number only applies to UK residents.
Via the ATM
Simply use your newly collected HSBC card to make a transaction at any ATM/Cash machine close to you. The card gets automatically activated during the transaction process. The transaction type ranges from withdrawal cash to merely looking up your account balance.
NB: This method cannot work for you if this is the first debit card you’re ordering from HSBC.
How To Activate Your HSBC Card If You Reside In The United States
The card activation methods I’ll be describing in this section only apply to HSBC customers from the United States. Just as I’ve discussed above, American customers can only activate their HSBC credit or debit cards by phone or via the online banking portal.
Activate Your Card Online
- You can activate your HSBC card online by simply visiting the HSBC online card activation page.
- Next, enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number, HSBC Credit Card number, CVV code, and card’s expiry date in their respective fields.
- Finally, click on the “Activate” button to activate your card.
Activate Your Card By Phone
Generally, the card activation number is usually on the sticker attached to your every HSBC card. But I understand some people might’ve torn it off by mistake or out of the excitement of receiving their new card.
Simply call the HSBC card activation number on 1-866-573-4722 to activate your card. Like I mentioned earlier, you’ll need to provide your card details before your request can be completed. You can start using your card to perform transactions once the activation step has been completed.
In case you’re stuck at any step during the activation process, you can call the HSBC support on 800.975.HSBC (4722) or 1-866-573-4722 for help and a customer service representative will be there to put you through. The HSBC support department is available all through the week from 7 AM to 12 Midnight ET.
To get the full benefits of your card, why don’t you enroll for online banking? With online banking, you can perform the following actions:
- Make bill pay
- Set up alerts/reminders
- View paperless statements
- Check remaining balance
- View transaction history and so much more.
The Personal Internet Banking platform is the most convenient way to manage your HSBC card through your computer, mobile phone or tablet at any time or place so far you have an internet connection. What’s more? Any transaction carried out via the online banking platform is backed by HSBC’s $0 Liability and are FDIC insured.
You can enroll for HSBC personal internet banking online so far you have an account with HSBC. What’s more? The registration process is straightforward and can be completed within minutes.
How To Register For Online Banking (UK Residents)
Before you can enroll for online banking. Some of the information you’ll be required to provide include:
- Your HSBC account number/Credit card number
- HSBC sort code
- Your personal HSBC Telephone Banking Security Number
You can proceed to the registration once you have the above information at hand. Follow the steps below to enroll for online banking:
- Simply visit the HSBC Online banking portal to get started.
- Next, click on the “Register for Online Banking” button to proceed.
- The next steps involve: verifying your identity, creating your login details, create security questions and choosing your security key.
- Once you’re completed the above steps, click on the “submit” button to confirm and submit your request.
How To Log On To HSBC Personal Internet Banking Portal
- First, visit the HSBC UK online banking portal to get started,
- Next, click on the red “Log On” button at the top-right corner of the page.
- On the next page, enter your Username and the “Continue” button to proceed.
- Finally, enter your Password or Security code and click on “Continue” to log on to your online banking page.
How To Enroll For HSBC Personal Internet Banking (US Residents)
The HSBC online banking registration process for US residents is almost the same as that of UK residents. Below are what you’ll need before you can begin enrollment:
- Your HSBC Credit card number/PIN
- Social Security Number
- Your Electronic Banking Number (EBN)
PS: If you have with you the Electronic Banking Number (EBN) sent to you, then choose “EBN/6 Digit Code” as your verification method otherwise choose the “HSBC Credit card number/PIN” verification method instead.
You can proceed to the registration once you have read and agreed to the terms and conditions. Follow the steps below to enroll for online banking:
- Simply visit the HSBC Online banking portal to get started.
- Next, navigate and click on the “Register” button to proceed.
- Then you’ll be prompted to verify your identity, set up your login details, create security questions and choose your security key.
- Once you’re done the above actions, click on the “submit” button to confirm and submit your request.
How To Login To Online Banking
- Visit the HSBC Online banking page to get started.
- Then navigate to the right-hand corner and click on the “Log On” button to proceed.
- Next, enter your username in the space provided and click on the “Continue” button to proceed.
- On the next page, enter your security code and click on the “Continue” button or you could click on the “Log On Using Password” link instead.
- Finally, enter your password and click on continue to login to your internet banking portal.
Managing Your Credit/Debit Card account
You can manage your account online or via the HSBC app once you’ve enrolled for personal internet banking. You can get the HSBC Mobile app (For US customers) on App Store and Google Play. While UK customers should follow these links to download the new HSBC UK App from the Apple App Store and Google Play.
You can perform the following actions once you’ve downloaded and installed the HSBC mobile app on your device:
- Check balance
- Make transfer
- Make bill pay
- View transaction history
- Set Alerts
- Deposit a cheque
- Access your HSBC account securely using fingerprint technology
- Perform Direct Debits
- Review account statement
You can log on to your HSBC app using your Username, Password/Security code, or fingerprint.
Was this post helpful? Leave a comment below. I read them all