As we all know, the United States government has always taken the welfare of its citizens as her topmost priority.
One of those steps taken is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) which aims to help the economic-disadvantaged populace, senior citizens and people under welfare programs by providing them with food stamps which they can use to purchase food.
The SNAP programs have helped feed thousands of families over the years. Each state has its own unique portal where eligible citizens of that state can apply.
You must’ve met the eligibility requirement before you can qualify for food stamps.
You have to meet the eligibility requirements before you can qualify to receive benefits in the state of New York.
Who Is Eligible To Receive NYC Food Stamps?
Food stamps eligibility is solely dependent on family size and gross income. But the true way to know for sure if you’re eligible for welfare is by applying.
Generally, you’ll be asked questions regarding your nationality, household size, income, assets (if any) etc.
The SNAP eligibility process is pretty straightforward and can be completed with 10 minutes.
- For New York residents, you can begin your SNAP application by visiting mybenefits.ny.gov
- Then click on the “Check eligibility” link to proceed.
- On the next page, you’ll be asked to choose your county before you proceed.
- Complete the process by providing information regarding your household size, income, assets, and other personal information.
This eligibility process checks if you may be eligible for SNAP, HEAP, Health Insurance, Tax credits or other assistance programs. This is good news because in case if you do not qualify for SNAP, you may be eligible for other benefits listed above.
Applying For Food Stamp
If you’re eligible, you’ll need to create an account on mybenefits.ny.gov before you can apply officially for SNAP.
- To create an account, visit the mybenefits.ny.gov’s homepage and click on the “Create new account” link to get started.
- Choose your county from the drop-down menu given.
- Next, enter your full name and initials as well as your email address.
- Set up your “User ID” and “Password” and click on the “Next” button to proceed.
- Finally, follow the prompts to complete the sign-up request.
PS: Keep your “User ID” and “Password” safe as you’ll need them for subsequent logins.
Once you’ve successfully created an account online, sign in to your account to apply for SNAP.
Documents you’ll need before applying includes;
- Recent pay stubs
- Social Security card
- List of household resources
- Current rent/mortgage statement
- your current property tax bill
- Insurance bill for your home
Normally, you’ll have to wait for a few days before receiving the outcome of your application. But if you’re seriously broke and you really need help right away, you may be eligible for you for “expedited” SNAP.
Eligibility Requirements For Expedited Benefits Includes;
- If your income for the month is way below the sum of your rent and utility bills.
- Secondly, If there is a disabled person in your household whose monetary value is less than $100
- Thirdly, if your available money in your household overall is less than $150
If that’s the case, your initial SNAP benefits will be allocated to your within 5 days. But you’d still need to complete the application process at a later date.
Food Stamps Benefits
Once you’re certified for SNAP, there are certain things that you can and can’t buy with food stamps.
Things that you can purchase with food stamps include; cereals, meat, poultry products, veggies, and fruits etc.
While things that are ineligible under SNAP includes; alcoholic beverages, pet food, stationery, and other non-food items.
Important Contacts and links:
Copy and paste the below links for your
The State of New York SNAP information
Local Departments of Social Services
Apply for SNAP
SNAP eligibility check
Feel free to drop comments below and we’ll be sure to get back to you ASAP.